Wednesday, May 19, 2010

I'm So Excited...

...because the long weekend is almost here. The Victoria Day long weekend. Yes the Monday which falls on or before the 24th of May is a national holiday in Canada when we celebrate the birthday of the Queen of England. Generally if you ask any Canadian, only a few could name Queen Elizabeth II as our reigning Monarch. Her actual birthday is in April but Queen Victoria started it all. Yes Canada is part of the British Commonwealth along with Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, India and a bunch of other countries.

The picture is of Queen Victoria and it looks like she could have used a lapband and maybe a little drinky-poo. Victoria became Queen at age 18 and was madly in love with her husband Prince Albert but he died young and left her alone. She had 9 children and reigned over Victorian England, that age of corsets and long skirts and covering up the tata's. Now those that live in Québec won't have anything to do with the British Monarchy so they came up with another name called National Patriots Day instead so they get the holiday too. Even though they are part of Canada, they think they are a nation and thus it is "national". And the patriots are those that fought against the British. I guess the Americans can feel for that as they too fought agains the British. But I really like the Brits. So I think we should all just get along. Remember I want world peace and all that. Now you know. History lesson over.

Lets get real. What do Canadians really think about this Victoria Day long weekend. First off, It is the unofficial start of summer. It is a time of travel to the cottage in bumper to bumper traffic or camping, lots of food, BBQs, booze and fireworks. It is also known by many as the May "Two-Four" (get it? a case of 24 beer!).  We can plant our flowers as the risk of frost is gone. When I was little we called it Firecracker Day and had a weiner roast over a fire in the backyard. Now we just drink beer—Blue, Sleemans, Canadian, Guinness, Keiths and for some of us Coors Light. The label has white mountains that turn blue when it is put on ice. And we don't leave out the wine and other fruity concoctions. We throw big slabs of salmon and beef and sausages on the BBQ. The May 2-4 gives us a reason to party. Because, it is a birthday party you know. Eh?

But I'm so excited...

...because I get a fill this Friday (21st). JUST BEFORE THE LONG WEEKEND! Which means I am on liquids on Friday and probably Saturday. I am off work on Friday which means I get an extra long, long weekend of 4 days. I am driving to visit my BFF outside of Toronto and we will probably spend some time in the hot-tub, kibbitzing about losing weight and talking non-stop. Maybe a walk or two and maybe a few drinks. Beer and wine are liquids! I might not be able to post or read many blogs so you can thank your lucky stars that you get a break from my ramblings!

AND I'm so excited...

...because I am meeting a celebrity on Friday around noon. I can't tell you until Thursday, but most of you have heard of her (whoops, now you know it's a she). She has received numerous awards and has caused quite a splash over the last few months. I am trying to figure out what to wear! I have my camera ready and the battery is charged. I am such a paparazzi! I'll post pictures as soon as I can. You will all be so jealous! Come visit my blog on Thursday and I will reveal who it is.

That is why I am so excited...

And it is a long weekend and I don't have to work on Monday. So if you like, raise a toast to the Queen this weekend. I'll be sure to reciprocate and celebrate with all my American friends next weekend. Woo Hoo!

9 comments:

Nella said...

Happy 2-4 Baby! My fellow Canadian!
My son has a hockey tourney but we will definitely bring the beebee Q out!

Can't wait to see the celeb pics!

Lonicera said...

I shall raise a toast to you in return (though I shan't be taking my white gloves off) and though I look forward to meeting you, don't blind me with your flash, will you? It's one of the tiresome things about being famous you know...
(Queen) Caroline

♥ Drazil ♥ said...

Awww - you have a great four days sweetie - you so deserve it! Can't wait to see pics!

Linda said...

I'm a history geek, so I love Queen Victoria. I'll celebrate with you. Good luck at your first fill - it will go great. Can't wait to hear about the celebrity!!

Darlin1 said...

Have a fun long....weekend and enjoy your fill...I'm jealous!!

Janice said...

Let's get the party started! I love any reason to celebrate! Have fun and I can't wait to read your updates! Enjoy!
Surgery Date: May 25
http://bandedandblogging.blogspot.com/

Andrew said...

I'm glad you like the brits :-)

Jen said...

I am excited for you! Sounds sort of like our Memorial Day. We do BBQ's & camping as well but on the Monday after the weekend we remember our fallen soldiers and our dearly departed loved ones by visiting them at the cemeteries. We leave them flowers. It's beautiful. Of course I know that really, the whole Memorial Day thing is just an excuse for the whole US of A to celebrate *my* birthday! haha! It's the 27th - so I always have a holiday weekend for my B-Day.
Have a cold one for me. (And I'll take a bite of salmon too please.)

carla said...

What a great weekend you are going ot have and good luck with the fill. enjoy!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...