Monday, April 23, 2012

Walking is My Exercise of Choice


Walking has been part of my life for over 5 decades. From walking to elementary and high schools, to walks through the neightbourhood and trails close to home and when travelling.

No running, no biking. Walking. I choose to walk for health because I enjoy it. Not because it will help me lose weight because I have found after all this time it won’t. 

I do it because I like it. 

I know others who are at the gym 2 hours a day, 6 days a week. Good for them. It’s not for me. I didn’t renew the gym membership this year. 

Over my lifetime, I have tried various gym pursuits, including running, but always fell back on plain and simple walking. 3-5 km a day, most days of the week. And you know what? It’s something I like to do and it is the only thing I have kept up for all these years. Snowshoeing in the winter, hiking in the summer and the treadmill at times. We're on our 3rd treadmill having worn out the previous two. Now I will admit months can go by where I just sit at home, but then something clicks and I'm off again. Lacing up the runners, plugging in the headphones and walking around the neighbourhood. 

Last year on our Riverboat Cruise down the Danube, I noticed a bunch of walkers, with poles trekking along the path which runs along the river. It was intriguing. 

When a friend invited me to go with her to a class in Nordic Walking (also called Urban Poling), I jumped at it. Nordic walking uses poles while walking or hiking. The poles give you an upper body workout, an all over body conditioning. Here is the class info for the group I joined in my area (Ottawa, Ontario) called Nordic Walkfit

Saturday was my first "walk". I loved it.

There is something exhilarating being out in the fresh air, sun shining down, heart pumping. Knowing that each step keeps you alive and well.

So I’ll move along, poles at the ready, maybe even take up yodelling to pass the time as I head over vale and hill.

6 comments:

Brenda said...

Walking is my exercise of choice too. I like you, have tried everything and come back to walking.

I wish we had a Artic Pole class here. I would love it!

Jacquie said...

The only exercise that will work is the one you can stick with. Be it walking or the gym, if you are not interested in it, you won't keep it up. Nordic walking is a great workout....good for you for trying it out!

Anonymous said...

Walk for life.walking is the eaiest excercise.

Anonymous said...

Walk for life.walking is the eaiest excercise.

Anonymous said...

I wish to claim Now i'm definitely pleased along with this hottest knowledge to lose weight http://fightextraweight.com, it is absolutely remarkable, could altered when i got went to http://akaimiracle.com. Prefer a sleek entire body, you should Ephedrine go to this as well.

Unknown said...

“I choose to walk for health because I enjoy it.” – That made me smile. To some, it’s a hobby, or their way of losing weight, or to stay fit and healthy. It’s good; all of us are different from each other anyway. Well, for me, I do walking for 1 hour every morning because I like it. Good luck on Nordic walking. I heard it makes walking a lot more fun.

Cindi Badillo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...